Hearing Aid FAQs
Use the guide below to find answers to many of the frequently-asked questions surrounding hearing aids, hearing loss, and more.
How do hearing aids work?
Regardless of the size or style of hearing aid you choose, you can expect your set to contain these four basic components:
- A microphone
- An amplifier
- A speaker or receiver
- Batteries or power supply
The microphone is designed to pick up sounds such as speech and other noises, converting the acoustic energy into an electrical signal. Then, these electrical signals are transmitted through the amplifier, increased in amplitude, and sent to the receiver. After the acoustic energy, or sound, is amplified, the receive transmits it to your inner ear for you to hear and process. This near-instantaneous process helps restore hearing quality affected by various forms of hearing loss.
How much do hearing aids cost?
Specific hearing aid costs will vary depending on factors such as style and technology level. . However, many Audiologists offer financing options to make hearing aids more affordable. Additionally, you can check with your employer and organizations such as labor unions, insurance providers, local charities, and the Veterans’ Administration to find out if you may be eligible for financial assistance.
How do I know if I need hearing aids?
Hearing loss can often be difficult to detect, particularly because it can occur at a very gradual rate. Here are a few questions you can consider to determine whether you may need hearing aids:
- Do you often have to ask friends and family to repeat themselves?
- Do you struggle to hear conversations in crowded places?
- Do your family members complain about how loud you prefer the television or radio?
- Do you experience a ringing or buzzing in your ears?
A full diagnostic hearing test performed by an Audiologist can evaluate whether hearing aids might help you.
What new features do today’s hearing aids have?
Advanced hearing aid technology has resulted in an exciting range of features, including:
- Improved sound quality, with technology that differentiates and balances speech, music, and other types of sound
- Hearing aid customization for a highly-tailored and effective experience
- Smartphone connectivity that allows you to pair compatible hearing aids with smartphone apps to enjoy quality sound while making phone calls, listening to music, streaming television programs, and more
- Increased durability for a long-lasting investment in your hearing
- Tinnitus management technology to relieve the frustrating symptoms of tinnitus
- Discreet and comfortable designs that maximize comfort and style
What are the different types and styles of hearing aids?
Today, hearing aids are available in an impressive variety of types and styles, giving you an excellent range of options. With so many choices to consider, you can easily find one that perfectly suits your hearing needs, budget, and style. From invisible hearing aids to those that sit behind the ear, including devices with cutting-edge features and technology, there truly are hearing aid options for everyone.
How do I know which hearing aid will be best for me?
There are a wide range of factors that have a direct effect on the hearing aid that will work best for you, such as lifestyle, employment, type and severity of hearing loss, and ear shape. The best way to determine which hearing aids are right for you is to schedule a hearing aid consultation with an Audiologist.
If you have additional questions about hearing aids that are not answered here, or would like to schedule your hearing aid consultation, please feel free to contact Oliveira Audiology & Hearing Center today at 956-727-3801.