Free Hearing Aids for Veterans in Laredo, TX
Unfortunately, hearing loss and tinnitus is extremely common among veterans of the United States military. We at Oliveira Audiology & Hearing Center are committed to helping, and veterans may even qualify for benefits and disability compensation from the VA. It’s the least we can do to help repay the service of over 1,000,000 who receive disability compensation for hearing loss annually.
What Services Does the VA Offer for Hearing Loss?
Hearing loss and tinnitus are among the most common injuries related to military service because of the loud noises during combat, training exercises, and other activities. To help veterans cope with those problems, the VA offers two services:
- Monthly tax-free payments by way of VA Disability Compensation
- Hearing health care including hearing aids at no or low cost through VA Health Benefits
How Do I Qualify for Free Hearing Aids Through the VA?
The first step toward qualifying for hearing aids, cochlear implants, or other devices is to qualify for VA Health Benefits in general. Vets can apply online, visit a local VA healthcare facility, visit a VA regional office, or call 1-877-222-8387 to start the enrollment process. Once you have been approved, you’re entitled to a hearing evaluation by a state-licensed audiologist.
You are most likely to be deemed eligible for free hearing health care if you meet one or more of the following conditions:
- You have a compensable disability related to your service in the United States military.
- You were a prisoner of war.
- You have received a Purple Heart award.
- You already receive benefits under 38 U.S.C. 1151.
- You receive an increased pension because of the need for regular aid and/or attendance, or because you are house-bound on a permanent basis.
- You have a hearing impairment because of another medical condition for which you are receiving VA care, or because of the treatment of a medical condition for which you are receiving VA care.
- You have a significant impairment (either cognitively or functionally) which causes you to experience deficiencies during daily activities. This does not necessarily include normal impairments of your hearing or vision.
- Your hearing is so severely impaired that you cannot actively participate in your own medical treatment without aid.
There are some elements of the clinical justification for your free hearing aids that must be determined by the audiologist. The audiologist will test your hearing thresholds by decibels, speech recognition, and by Hertz to determine if your hearing is at a level that qualifies you for free hearing aids. If you have any questions whatsoever about what these tests entail, please reach out to us and we can provide further explanation. Our goal is to provide enough education and support that every veteran feels completely comfortable at every step of our process.
Can My Tinnitus Be Cured?
Unfortunately, there is no known cure for tinnitus at this time. That said, there are several techniques we can use to help veterans manage the sound and deal more comfortably with flare-ups. If you experience persistent ringing in your ears, contact us today and we’ll explore all of the options together.
How Can I Get Free Hearing Aids from the VA?
If you are a veteran and are suffering from symptoms of hearing loss, we will do everything in our power to get you the care you deserve. We at Oliveira Audiology & Hearing Center have the utmost respect for current and past members of our United States Military, and take great joy from serving you. Contact Oliveira Audiology & Hearing Center today online or over the phone 956-727-3801 , and let’s get started together.